Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wednesday Wisdom

"Time is like money, the less we have of it to spare the further we make it go."
-Josh Billings
I kind of find it funny how true that is. For example, my day was insane today (hence why you're getting a 10pm Wednesday Wisdom!) - a lot of running around for a variety of stuff, and then back to back to back kid's activities this evening. If you had given me a list on Monday of everything I was going to get done today, I would have said "no way, something's gotta go." Yet somehow it all got done. How does that happen? I personally think it's because I didn't sit down and analyze everything on my list - I just got started and did it. Maybe it's when we over think things that we become stagnant, overwhelmed, and afraid to move forward.
If you have tasks you're putting off because you're afraid of what the outcome will be, or overwhelmed because they seem like too large of a task to manage, I would suggest setting a timer for just 15 minutes and starting. When that timer goes off, you stop. Even if you're not done. Even if you're nowhere NEAR done. Just stop. Because when you are giving yourself permission ahead of time to only focus on that big scary thing for 15 minutes, it becomes so much more bearable. You've taken that internal pressure off, the little voice in your brain that's been telling you "if you start this, you better be prepared to finish it." You will finish it, eventually, just nothing says you have to do it all at once. Keep repeating those 15 minute segments daily until you've tackled the task. And I promise, after awhile, it'll get easier each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment